Joe Wagner Group is gaining a reputation for excellence in rail infrastructure maintenance. We are regularly contracted by Queensland Rail (QR) to deliver drainage and culvert replacements, and formation works. Our crews all hold Rail Industry Worker cards, and have SARC and WET certification which means they can work within the rail corridor and in electrified territories. Our HiRail excavator also allows us to work quickly and easily on railway lines without any danger of track damage.
As this work requires removing railway tracks, the lines must be shutdown while the work is in progress. To avoid disruption to rail services, work must be completed in tight time-frames and usually we have crews working around the clock. Much of this work takes place in remote locations which requires careful planning and attention to logistics.
Without even looking at our formation works projects, our drainage crews have been kept busy with around 20 shutdowns in the last 18 months to replace deteriorated culverts and timber bridges. From the beginning of 2019 to today, they have:
- Clocked up approximately 1,500 shutdown hours with the longest shutdown being 64 hours;
- Installed over 260 linear metres of culverts from single celled to 6-celled structures;
- Laid approximately 1,165 cubic metres of rock protection;
- Repaired access roads to the culvert sites;
- Demolished old culverts and timber bridges;
- Installed grouted rock scour protection and gabions; and
- Removed and replaced around 400 metres of railway track.
With all these shutdowns, we have handed the track back to QR on time and with no LTIs. A great effort by our crews!
As work on the Inland Rail draws closer to our region, we look forward to bringing our expertise to the table and being involved in this once-in-a-lifetime project.